Partner had TURP surgery. Can I still get pregnant naturally?

My partner recently had TURP surgery, can i still get pregnant naturally
He is 47 and i am 37
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Getting Pregnant
Follow-up: Partner had TURP surgery. Can I still get pregnant naturally? 7 minutes later
i really want to have children. I am 37 years old and dont have any child. My partner is divorced with 3 sons. He is 47 years old. My partner had BPH TURP surgery in April 2012 at Mayo Clinic in Minnesota. Ever since the surgery he has had retrograde ejaculation. All his orgasms have been dry. Will we still be able to have children naturally even with his retrograde ejaculation? I am so worried about this. I dont think he is as worried as i am because he already has children. Also i have mentioned IVF but he is not very eager and also we will not be able to afford it. What are the statistics of men with retorgrade ejaculation being able to naturally impregnante a woman? As i mentioned before having children is very important to me (i have already waited too long), and if it is highly unlikely that we can have children naturally then i may consider ending the relationship.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 8 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX Thanks for your query

This is because the muscle valve located at the bladder that previously directed ejaculations out the penis is often destroyed in procedures like TURP, and the sperm now goes the direction of less resistance, i.e. into the bladder. The sperm is later harmlessly expelled when he urinates. This should not be considered a fool-proof method of birth control, as some sperm could, and probably does, find it's way out the more traditional path, prior to, and during ejaculation.

The above statement explains that only a few sperms, if at all, come out after a TURP. For natural pregnancy, few sperms are not enough. Millions of sperms are needed to attack the egg and finally though, only the best sperm of the lot, succeeds. This is how natural pregnancy occurs. So, i hope this clearly explains the chances of natural conception.
Unfortunately, Statistics are not great in the literature on this issue.

Best regards
Follow-up: Partner had TURP surgery. Can I still get pregnant naturally? 12 hours later
Thank you for your response. Prior to his surgery i got pregnant but had a miscarrigae. This was a year ago.

Im a bit confused by your answer though. On the one hand you mention that some sperm could and probably does find its way through the traditional path and as such this is not a fool proof method of birth control. On the other hand you stated that only a few sperms come out after TURP and millions of sperms are needed to attack the egg so a natural pregnancy is not possible.

Please which is it? And wahat are the chances of getting pregnant naturally at my age.
Answered by Dr. G.Srinivasan 35 minutes later
Welcome back.
The information is given for you to understand the problem as a whole, that only few sperms come out.
The chances of pregnancy at your age is less. In other words, the more advanced the age, the chances get less and less.
Having said that, it does not mean that pregnancy is not possible at 37 years. On the other hand, the chances of having an anomalous child is high at your age and your partner's age.
There are no absolute numbers on the chances of pregnancy after TURP, but chances are very remote as only a few sperms usually come out, if at all.
Hope this answers your query.