Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest?

Question
My wife is HBsAg poistive. I have done a LFT test of my wife which I have attached. How is her report?
Posted Sun, 23 Jun 2013 in Liver and Gall Bladder

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 32 minutes later
Hi, thanks for using healthcare magic

There is no report attached at present. You may need to re attach it and resend.

Liver function tests consists of different blood tests

AST (also called SGOT) is found not only in the liver but other parts of the body. Normal range is 5 to 40 U/l though there may be some variation from lab to lab for all the tests, the lab you would have used may have printed their own normal ranges.

ALT (also called SPGT)- normal range 7-56 u/l

ALkaline phosphatase (ALP) - range is 25 to 100 U/l

If she had previous tests and her present results are lower that means that liver function is improving.
If she had previous tests and the values are increasing that would mean that liver function is getting worse.

You can attach the results or write them in on a subsequent questions

Hope this help, feel free to ask anything else

Follow-up: Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest? 34 minutes later
I have attached the report

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 12 minutes later
Hi

Normally when the report is attached it appears to the right of the screen with a caption stating view attached report.

At this point no report is seen

If it is difficult to attach , you may want to write out the values that you see and send them that way. Some persons use this as an alternative

Follow-up: Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest? 12 minutes later
trying to attach

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 52 minutes later
Hi

The results are now attached and they are good.

Her bilirubin levels are normal.
The AST is 17, ALT 15, GGT 20 and ALP 88. All of these are within the lab ranges that are printed to the left of the sheet.

The protein levels are also normal.

Please feel free to ask any other questions

Follow-up: Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest? 8 minutes later
Do you see any immediate need for the HVB DNA quantification test for her. Being HBsAG positive whether she needs to take any medicine even if LFT test is normal

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 13 minutes later
Hi

The HVB DNA quantification would determine the amount of the virus that is present in your wife's system.
It would allow the doctor and your wife to know if there is decreasing amount of virus, it would allows you to find out whether she is responding to treatment.

It is still as necessary to see if the amount of virus is declining.

You can feel free to ask any additional questions

Follow-up: Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest? 7 minutes later
Thanks for the reply. In an earlier query I have attached her HBV DNA test report. Could you please see it and comment.

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 21 minutes later
HI

At present only the liver function test report is attached.
Will you be able to resend it?

Follow-up: Partner HBsAg poistive. Done LFT test. What do this suggest? 21 hours later
I have attached her reports. Please check & advice.

HI

Her thyroid function tests ( T3, T4 and TSH) are normal and all within range.

Hepatitis B core antibodies are high .The antibodies are made by the body in response to infection.They are found in those who have recovered and those that are chronically infected with the virus

Hepatitis BE antigen is non reactive, this is good.This is a protein that is released by hepatitis B infected cells. it is used as a marker of active disease and to judge if a person is infectious.Your wife's low value means that there are low levels of the virus in the blood and she is not likely to be infectious.

Your wife's results confirm that she had the infection but now the level of the virus is decreasing.

Please feel free to ask anything else