Partly white stools. Taking HCG drops. What could be the reason?

Question
Hi, I am taking HCG drops right now, but not closely following the diet given. My stools are partly white, I am very nervous. I discontinued the drops right now.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 3 hours later
I can understand your concern for these symptoms but white stools are not normal. This needs evaluation. Two important causes which should be rule dout are:

1)     Liver diseases, such as hepatitis and cirrhosis, can cause white stool.

2)     Sometimes the problem lies not in the liver but in the tube (duct) that delivers the bile to the intestines. This tube can be squeezed shut or blocked like by a tumor or a gallstone which prevents the bile from entering the intestines.

If the symptom of white stool persists then you should consult a physician and get your liver enzymes along with a CT scan liver and gall bladder done.

It does not seem to be related to the HCG drops although some medications like anti-diarrheal medications , Kaopectate or Pepto-Bismol, anti-fungal medicines, antibiotics and antacids can cause white stools.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Partly white stools. Taking HCG drops. What could be the reason? 2 hours later
Should I seek medical attention right now (as in an emergency visit) or go in the morning? I feel fine, and have no other symptoms.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 18 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Having white stools is not an emergency and you can consult your doctors in the morning. Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.