Partially numb lips, smoking for eight months. Reason?

i've been smoking for about 8 months and my lips recently have obtained a partially numb feeling, i noticed this when i exhaled my drag and couldn't really feel the smoke, what does this mean?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 22 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Lip numbness that is decreased or absent sensation in the lips can be due to mild or rarely serious causes.It occurs because the nerve does not carry the sensation from lips to brain.

Some common causes are nutritional deficiency,allergic reactions,excessive cold,exposure to chemicals,electrolyte imbalance etc.

If you have been smoking heavily and regularly then it could also be a reason.

Some measures:

1)Stop smoking completely for few days and observe for changes.

2)Avoid alcohol,sea food as it may trigger an allergic reaction.Prefer having home made food.

3)Apply petroleum jelly overnight.

4)Have a glass of orange juice or any mixed fruit so that if any electrolyte imbalance is corrected.

5)Avoid stress and relax your mind.

If the symptoms persist even after 5 days or worsen consider visiting a Physician for evaluation as a physical examination would be beneficial.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up in case of doubt.
Follow-up: Partially numb lips, smoking for eight months. Reason? 29 hours later
also i forgot to mention that my whole mouth and top of the throat are hot and somewhat sore, i have rather poor oral hygiene, could this just be irritation from poor oral hygiene or something else?
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 25 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

Poor oral hygiene can cause numbness in the entire oral region.

1) Take a multivitamin tablet once a day for a month as it can be due to even nutritional deficieny.

2) Practice good oral hygeine and even you can visit a dentist for evaluation.

3) Eat healthy balanced diet.

4) Avoid smoking as it can be an aggravating factor.

5) Drink plenty of water.

6) Avoid very hot or cold food items.

7) You can use an antibacterial mouthwash twice daily.

If the symptoms persist consider visiting a Dentist for evaluation.

I hope I have answered your query.

Wishing you Good health!