Parkinson patient. Five blocks in body. Frequently admitted to hospital for low BP. Rehab center in Bangalore?

Dear Doctor,
My father has many ailments, he is a Parkinson patient, he has pacemaker for last three years. He has five blocks in his body. We are noticing that last two months he has been frequently admitted in the hospital for low BP. I feel we are not able to keep the diet/movement in control at home.
I wanted to know if there is any rehab center in bangalore where can keep my father for few months on strict diet/therapist.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 hours later

I understand your concern. Parkinsonism is a chronic condition which needs adequate medication for proper treatment. Further depression is very much common association here. In the absence right medical treatment as well as family support depression is more likely. Therefore I do not think it is a good idea to keep him in a rehab centre.
Besides that I am unaware if he might be eligible for admission to a neuro rehab centres.

My suggestions are:
1. Discuss with his treating neurophysician to optimize his antiparkinsonism drugs. The right drug, adequate dosage and right timing of medication can help him perform his activities adequately.
2. As far as his diet is concerned, I do not see any reasons (based on the history you provided) why he cannot be feeding orally. However if at all there is a problem Ryle's tube feed can be initiated briefly under guidance of your doctor and nutritionist.
3. It is very essential that he is supported well by family and friends. Physical and emotional attachment is going to improve the health status significantly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.