Paralysis on half of body. Vomits white fluid after dinner. What is causing this and treatment?

Jan 2013

My mom is 65+ and has paralysis of the right side. She is recovering well. For sugar she is given Gemer twice day. During dinner she vomits a while fluid which is like sputum. No doctor is able to identify the cause and stop this problem. Can u guide on this?
Posted Wed, 20 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 33 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned one.
Did she has cough reflex during swallowing at the time of stroke?
Does she has abdominal heaviness/ bloating and recurrent vomiting?

There is high possibility of involvement of cranial nerve IX & X causing weak gag reflex with weakness of throat smooth muscles & skeletal muscles.
There is also possibility of over activity of cholinergic innervation of Parotid gland after stroke.
Diabetes by causing disturbances in autonomic system may cause excessive drooling of saliva.

As such there is no relation of treatment of diabetes, cardiac problems and excessive drooling of saliva.
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist / neurologist and should go for thorough check up.
Unfortunately no specific treatment is available for reducing saliva production and increasing motility of throat muscles.
She can take tricyclic antidepressants, anti-cholinergics and prokinetics for getting relief.
Hope that helps.
With wishes of speedy recovery.
Let me know if I can address any more concerns.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava