Paracetamol 10 tablets, alcohol, hypertension. Fatal effects ?

Dear Doctor,My friend has consumed 750 mg acetaminophen (Paracetamol) X 10 tablets=7.5gms today along with Alcohol (Vodka) 180ml. This was three days ago. This was under influence of alcohol & hypertension. Would this cause any fatal effect to him?? He is alright as of now..
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 32 minutes later

Thanks for posting your query

Paracetamol overdose can cause serious toxicity and can range from nausea, vomitting, abdominal pain to liver damage and coma. Usually the symptoms are not present for the first 24 hours but the effects on the liver may start showing up gradually.

Since he has consumed it with alcohol the adverse effects may be more and would show up after few hours or might be days.

Consider taking him to Emergency immediately so that antidote can be given to combat the various adverse effects and also he would be under observation and can get the treatment accordingly.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be availble for follow up query.
Follow-up: Paracetamol 10 tablets, alcohol, hypertension. Fatal effects ? 17 minutes later
I just forgot to tell you the he has taken Tablets in Powder form. He seems to have crunched tablets into powder & consumed it. What is the minimum side effect he could cause? if :
1. Paracetamol 7.5gms taken in single day?
2. Alcohol taken 2 hours after consuming Paracetamol?
3. Would be the powdered form of paracetamol react with Liver/Stomach early?
4. What could be minimum damages he could face with all above??

Can you please revert on priority?? so that an action can be initiated to save further damages....
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 20 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

The dose has entered the body whether taken in powder form or as tablet and followed by alcohol both of which can cause liver damage. The symptoms can be abdominal pain, nausea, dizziness and liver damage.

Even if he is not having any symptoms the damage on the liver might have been started since it is a slow process and he can come up with other effects as low blood sugar, acidosis, hepatotoxicity, organ damage later. The minimum effects are vomitting, pallor, intermittent abdominal pain, sweating etc.

Kindly consider taking him to the hospital so that Paracetamol can be detoxified and excreted out of the body.

Hope this answers your query.

Wishing him Speedy Recovery!