Para-ovarian cyst in transvaginal ultrasound. Family history of cancer. Will this turn to cancer & also affect fertility?

Infertility Specialist
I went for a transvaginal ultrasound this morning and was told I had a paraovarian cyst and that these were common. Now Ièm really worried...will this turn into cancerÉ...will it affect my fertilityÉ Do I need surgeryÉ If I get pregnant again, will it affect the pregnancyÉ Will it get really large and damage my ovariesÉ
Do they go away on their ownÉ My dad had cancer which is why i am worried. Thanks
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 5 hours later

A para-ovarian cyst (POC), also sometimes known as a para tubal cyst or a hydatid cyst of Morgagni 14, is a type of adnexal cyst that does not arise from the ovary. They account for ~ 10 - 20 % of extraovarian masses.

They usually occur around the broad ligament and arise from para-mesonephric, mesothelial, or mesonephric remnants. They are usually simple cysts.

These paraovarian cysts are very common in women and majority of them go away by themselves. It will NOT damage your ovary & DO NOT cause infertility. You can get pregnant easily. Dont think of infertility. This is a very small problem which gets corrected by itself. Just get another followup scan after 2 months to confirm if it has disapperared.

Let me reassure you that they DO NOT turn in to cancer. You absolutely have no risk of cancer. Hence please donot worry about it and remove the thought of cancer form your mind.

I hope I answered your queries. I will be available for any followup queries you have. If no more queries, please accept my answer.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol
Inferility Specialist