Ask a Dentist   »  

Papules on tip of tongue, irritation, furry feeling, painful to bite, toothpaste burns them. What are they?

I have weird papules on the tip of my tounge which are irritating. They feel furry like when rubbed against my teeth and lip. They hurt abit when i bite on them. When i brush my teeth the mint of the toothpaste burns them as does so when i use listerine or chew gum or minty lollies. What are they? What may this be casued from and how can I treat them? Thankyou so much for your advice.
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Gaurang Krishna 2 hours later
hello XXXXXXX,
Thanks for writing in and a very good resolution pic. I appreciate it.

The papules are basically enlarged taste buds. The condition is called Glossitis.
Actually it is a vague term and encomapasses many inflammatory conditions of the tongue.

The most common cause is vitamin deficiency.

My suggestion would be to take a 3 month course of multivitamins (mostly vit B complex).
This should help.
Avoid biting on them..

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask me.