Pap test, ultrasound, HCG and TSH test advised for a routine check up. Polyp found in ultrasound. Cancer chances?

Infertility Specialist
Question
wife polyp- worried husbenddear doctor

two days ago my wife went to her genicologist for routine check.
she told me that her doctor did pap test and also ultrasound in order to check her genitals.
in the ultrasound he saw small spot , and he asked her if she forgot to take her anti preganncy pills , as afact she forgot for two days and then she countinue to take it again.
the doctor thing that he saw double linning or maybe small polyp.
either of this didnt worried him and he sent her to do another ultrasounsd after her next period.
he also gave her blood test that include Hcgt test , progosten test and tsh test.
he also said it maybe becuse forgetting the pills and than taking tham again.
my wife is 33 we have two boys and she dont have any other simptoms like bleeding or pain.

i very worried i am afraid that my wife
has maybe cancer or something

thanka and regards

XXXXXXX
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX,

First let me reassure you that what you have described is not cancer. Your wife does not have any findings related to cancer. I will explain you in detail what doctor suggested for your wife.

Spot in ultra sound what doctor saw made him to come to conclusion of 2 diagnosis:

1) Pregnancy: Doctor asked about the history of missing pills because he was thinking spot could be pregnancy. Therefore he has adviced beta hCG(Human chorianic gonadotropin) test which is increased if there is pregnancy. Please get the beta hCG test done to confirm if spot seen on ultrasound is pregnancy.

2) Polyp: Small polyp also appear like a spot. If pregnancy hCG is negative, then its polyp which is minor & small matter treated easily. ITS NOT CANCER.

So please dont think of cancer. Your wife is safe.

I hope I answered your question. I will be glad to answer if anymore queries you have.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Pap test, ultrasound, HCG and TSH test advised for a routine check up. Polyp found in ultrasound. Cancer chances? 31 minutes later
Dear doctor

thanks for your answer, so what the doctor meant when he said double Endometrial lining from the forgotten and after two days take of anti preganncy pill?

and also if this pregenncy it can not see surly on the doctor U.S, why do another us after the next period.?

also if she got her period how she can be pregnent?

thanks and sorry for long question

XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 18 minutes later

Thanks for reverting back

Your doctor meant to say, your wife might have become pregnant as she missed 2 days of pill.

ealy pregnancy are very difficult to see on ultrasound. So doctor asked you to come later and hCG (Human chorionic gonadotropin) test also for confirming pregnancy.

If she is pregnant, she wont get periods, If she is not pregnant, she will get periods. Thats how you can differentiate if pregnancy has occurred.

I hope I answered your question. I will be glad to answer if anymore queries you have.Please accept my answer if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

Follow-up: Pap test, ultrasound, HCG and TSH test advised for a routine check up. Polyp found in ultrasound. Cancer chances? 4 hours later
Dear Doctor

We did home pregnency test and its negative.
how can we know that its not utres cancer or ovary cancer .

if it was someting of the above he could see and maybe he wont tell us to wait with the US to next period?

sorry doctor but i am really in panic

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 2 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

If there was suspicion of cancer, doctor would have adviced different blood tests for cancer detection. He is thinking in terms of pregnancy, Early pregnancy does not show up in urine tests done at home. Blood tests for beta hCG are more confirmative.

Doctor is not hisding anything. OVary or uterus cancer would have been seen on ultrasound. Cervical cancer can be detected by pap smear report. DONT WORRY ABOUT CANCER. Just relax.

I hope I answered your question. Please close this discussion if no more queries.

Dr.Mahesh Koregol

thank you very much

Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 25 minutes later

I am happy that you are satisfied with my answer. Please close this discussion if you do not have any further queries.

If you wish me to answer in the future, do address your concerns to my attention "Attn: Dr. Mahesh Koregal".

Thanks again.

Wish you good health.