Pap smear result showed abnormal. What is mild dysplasia?

Mar 2013
My 2nd pap smear came abnormal again n I just received a letter n haven't talk to the doctor yet!! My question is what is Mild Dysplasia?
Posted Wed, 15 May 2013 in Cervical and Ovarian Cancer
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 27 minutes later
thanks for your query.
Could you tell me what was the report of the 1st abnormal smear.
ALso, it would help if you upload the entire report of the Pap smear.
Regarding your question -
Cervical dysplasia isn't cancer. The term indicates that abnormal cells were found on the surface of the cervix.

Cervical dysplasia can range from mild to severe, depending on the appearance of the abnormal cells. Dysplasia could go away on its own or, rarely, it could develop into cancer.

After an abnormality is detected on a Pap smear, your doctor may recommend more tests, including a human papillomavirus (HPV) test and colposcopy. Colposcopy is an examination of your cervix, vagina and vulva using a magnifying instrument. During a colposcopic examination, your doctor may determine where the abnormal cells are growing and the degree of abnormality. A sample of cells (biopsy) may be taken for testing.

Often, with mild dysplasia, no treatment is needed. In most cases, mild dysplasia resolves on its own and doesn't become cancerous. Your doctor may recommend follow-up in six to 12 months to check for additional changes. If you have severe dysplasia, your doctor may recommend treatment such as surgery or other procedures to remove the abnormal cells.

Whether you have mild or severe dysplasia, it's likely your doctor will recommend Pap testing every six months or, with mild dysplasia, HPV testing yearly to monitor your condition and check for recurrences of dysplasia. After two consecutive normal Pap smears, your doctor will likely recommend resuming annual Pap smears if you've had severe dysplasia, and Pap smears every one to three years if you've had mild dysplasia.

Hope this clarifies things.
Take care, and feel free to discuss further.