Pap smear done. Started bleeding, urge to urinate and shivering with mild temperature. Underlying cause?

I went for a regular smear test today. I have never had a problem before but today it was painful with a lot of bleeding and ever since I have this urge to urinate all the time, a brown discharge and awful sore feeling inside with a dull ache. I also feel quite shivery with a bit of a temperature. Why has this happened and will this get better quickly please? Thanks for your help.
Posted Sun, 10 Mar 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 19 minutes later
Hi and thanks for your query,
Its normal to have some spotting after a pap smear.If you had never had it before, its ok. But having some spotting after a pap smear is all but normal. It becomes a problem of this bleeding or spotting persists for more than 48 hours, or becomes really too abundant.
It s impossible to have an infection the same day and have symptoms the same, especially with the germs of the urogenital tract.
If you are experiencing those symptoms, I am afraid they might not be related to the pap smear test and it might a coincidence. If the brown discharge is not due to the fact of mistakenly taking blot clots, I would suggest you visit a gynecologist for a proper evaluation.
You should not be worried about the pap smear, spotting is but a normal in most people after the exams. For now, I suggest you drink enough water, take an analgesic if you feel pain.Drink much water and simple pain killer, and if symptoms persist for more than 48 hours, you might have to consult your gynecologist for reevaluation.
Thanks for understanding and hope this helps,
Do not hesitate asking further questions if need be,
best regards,
Luchuo, MD.
Follow-up: Pap smear done. Started bleeding, urge to urinate and shivering with mild temperature. Underlying cause? 39 minutes later
Thank you for your speedy response. I will make an appointment if it isn't better within 48 hours. I am wondering whether I have a speculum - it feels like honeymoon cystitis but without the burning sensation? have actually just thought of something else to ask you! I am fine at the minute but occasionally when I am stressed I get a stabbing pain in my left eye (probably about once a month) and this then lasts on and off for about 2 or 3 days. It is very debilitating when it happens. Any ideas? Could it be linked to my fibromyalgia. I get this very mildly ie when stressed I get hot painful joints - especially wrist and ankles and this usually lasts a few days. I would love to know what causes the stabbing pain through my eye and also any tips as to what to do when it happens. It is very painful at the time. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 4 hours later
Thanks for the question,
with a past history of fribromyalgia rheumatica, hot painful joints and at the risks could be linked to it maybe, but its more likely to be another rheumatologic condition of the same family. Testing for markers t check Systemic Lupus ertythematosus, Rheumatoid arthritis and mixed thyroid screen? This could be a rare presentation of thyrotoxicosis too.
I suggest you XXXXXXX your gynecologist for these gynecological symptoms and probably a rheumatologist/internist with time too. They might be of able.
Thanks and best regards, I a honored if you have health issues, you can always ask. I will be glad to contribute.
Best regards and best of health.
Luchuo, MD.