Pap smear, colposcopy and biopsy done. Results showed cervicitis. On doxycycline. Could it be STD?

May 2013
I had an abnormal Pap smear followed by a colposcopy and biopsy. Results showed cervicitis, dr said it was caused by bacteria and prescribed doxycycline but never told me what bacteria caused it only said that sometimes we can have an overgrowth of it in our body. Now that I've read about this I'm wondering about an std. My question is, would my dr have been able to tell from the colposcopy and biopsy if an std was the cause?
Posted Sun, 25 Nov 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 50 minutes later

Your doctor might have told about bacterial vaginosis.
Which occurs due to change in normal vaginal flora and due to over growth of bacteria like Gardenella vaginalis.
It is not an STD.
It can be caused by antibiotic usage, vaginal douching, intrauterine devices etc.
And presents with symptoms like vaginal discharge, sometimes associated fishy odor can be noticed.
By colposcopy and biopsy abnormal cells in the tissue can be recognized. By that we can differentiate between infective cause like cervicitis or neoplasia etc.
But to detect bacterial vaginosis:
-Pelvic examination.
-Microscopic examination of the vaginal discharge- which can detect clue cells.
-Whiff test etc. should be done.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.