Pap smear and ultrasound done. Having pain in lower abdominal and groin area. Could be be the cyst?

I had 2 uti s earlier this year- blood and prtein in urine- had a pap smear that was routine and that came back clear- full pelvic exam all ok- routine utrasound and transvaginal ultrasound picked up 3 to 4 cm follicle cysyt- waiting til end August to check if its still there- are uti s connected- now over the past month I have lower abdominal ache, groin and vaginal ache and pain in thighs- could this be the cyst ? I had urine cultures and vaginal swabs all ok.
Posted Fri, 31 Aug 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sourav Ganguly 24 minutes later

The follicular cyst of ovary or graffian follicle cyst or follicular cyst is a type of functional simple cyst, and is the most common type of ovarian cyst. It usually occurs when ovulation doesn't occur, and a follicle doesn't rupture or release its egg but instead grows until it becomes a cyst. It is not related to symptoms and disappear by themselves within a few months; but if its size increases then it can produce lower abdominal ache due to pressure symptoms and groin and vaginal ache and pain in thighs due to referred pain.

Discuss with your gynecologist about it. Treatment can be planned as and when required.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Wish you a speedy recovery.

Best Wishes,
Dr Sourav Ganguly