Panic disorder, vertigo. Taken klonopin and ativan. Is it okay to take klonopin and ativan together?

Excellent

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Is it okay to take Klonopin and Ativan together? I've taken Klonopin (2 mg) for years for panic disorder. I now have benign pos. vertigo and they prescribed Ativan since I'm very used to the Klonopin. Checking to see if it's okay to take them together (0.5 mg Ativan, plus I take the Klonopin already), and what should I expect? Thanks very much.
XXXXXXX
Posted Wed, 4 Jul 2012 in Anxiety and Stress

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Ativan (lorazepam) and Klonopin (clonazepam) are both benzodiazepines that are used to treat anxiety disorders. Taking Ativan and Klonopin together may increase chances of respiratory depression, since both medications can slow the rate of breathing.
They CAN be taken together, but shouldn't be taken unless supervised by a licensed doctor. While they are both benzodiazepines, they are different drugs and will affect the body in slightly different ways. Taking small doses of each isn't going to harm a typical adult directly. The mixture of chemicals could put you in XXXXXXX circumstances if you combine it with alcohol or other drugs.
Lorazepam and Clonazepam are considered 'safe' drugs in most cases. Safe meaning overdoses require a very large dose and are rarely fatal (individually), their drug - drug interactions are minimal comparative to other substances, and they are/can be given without hesitation under observation without much concern.

Again, unless the SAME doc prescribes both you shouldn't take them at the same time.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Panic disorder, vertigo. Taken klonopin and ativan. Is it okay to take klonopin and ativan together? 4 hours later
Hi again, and thank you for your answer.
The ER docs knew that I was on Klonopin (when I went in for the vertigo) and since I am so used to taking Klonopin (have been on 2 mg a day for several years), they went with Ativan instead to control the vertigo. Just making sure it's okay to take the 2 drugs together. So it's 2 mg Klonopin a day (which I'm very used to, have been taking for many years), and now 0.5 mg Ativan as needed for the vertigo (max 3 times a day).
Thanks for your input, just checking to make sure it's safe. I appreciate your help.
XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Yes. The doses prescribed to you are minimal and can be taken together without any problem.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.