Panic attacks, depression, insecurity, drinking and smoking. Taking zolax. How can improvement take place?

Hello my boyfriend is on Zolax because he suffers from panic attacks and depression. He s insecure about everything and is lost atm. He doubled his dosis 6 weeks ago, and last week he had a hudge panic attack again. He drinks and smokes weed as well, can anyone tell me what zolax does to him and the combination with alcohol, and how can i help him. i ve been telling him to stop drinking and smoking ofcourse, but he says it relaxes him. I ve been telling him to get help and talk to someone, about his problems...i just want to know if the change, he s not himself anymore (before he started smoking) can come from the medication as well
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 1 hour later

Zolax contains Alprazolam which is an sedative and an anti anxiety medication when taken in low dose. It when taken with alcohol , weed etc will increase their effect and cause more harm than the alcohol and weed alone.

The panic attacks will be suppressed on taking the Zolax and smoking the weed but creates addiction which in-turn aggravate the panic attacks and depression .Hence I would strongly recommend him to quit both the alcohol and the weed.

Well , its a real tough task for him to quit smoking , but not impossible as he can be helped for the same by a Psychiatrist counselling and Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) which is a psychotherapeutic approach to treat such conditions over time.It doesn't need for him to be in a rehab but can visit the psychiatrist in sessions .

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.