Panic attack, anxiety, fear of death and diseases is debilitating.

hello i need help . i have been sufering from panick attack, anxiety , fear for 22 years. my fear of death and deaseses is debilitating. i have spend so much money on doctors tests to make sure i am ok but its not helping. therapy doesnt help. every year i think fear gets worse. i am constantly online searching for something. and i am not only thinking bad thoughts about myself my family also i have a husband and 2 kids. and i am allways panicky. also i lost my greandma last year, it was and is the worst time for me. she was my rock and advocate for getting better, also my ex step dad died last year and even though they were divorced prior to his death i was touched by that., my fear is that i have been seeing them in my dreams. we talk we argue, my greandma can give me a hug, but because of my fear i think i see them because i will die next hel please
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     33 year old female
•     History of anxiety, panic, and fear for decades
•     Complaints of: Bad dreams

Panic disorder (subtype of anxiety disorder) is one diagnosis which can explain almost all symptoms. Other common symptoms of anxiety disorders which can also present in your case are anxiety, nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own wellbeing, tremor, muscle spasm/twitching, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth.

You may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment (medication). For treatment drug therapy and cognitive behaviour therapy are used.

Amongst medical drugs used in treating anxiety - two types of medicine can be used.
1. For immediate relief of anxiety, benzodiazepines group of medicines are used (like clonazepam). They can be used for short term.
2. And for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

Do not worry much. Your condition is very much treatable. 3-5% population same problem like you have. People get well within weeks after start of treatment. I recommend you to consult a competent psychiatrist who can guide you through your treatment.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Panic attack, anxiety, fear of death and diseases is debilitating. 29 minutes later
so u dont think seeing them in my dreams mean something. i used to be on zoloft and clonopin but i wasnt feeling very good so i am fighting this on my own. i do see my doctor on a monthly basis and she is trying to support my desicision not to take drugs but its very hard
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later
Hello again,

Zoloft contain sertaline which is a SSRI and clonopin contain clonazepam is a benzodiazepine.

Usually during treatment when drug is not effective its doses need to be increase. Even sometime other medicine need to be added in the treatment after mental status and physical examination by psychiatrist.

If nightmare problem will also decrease with your anxiety symptoms.

If your thearpist want non drug treatment like CBT you can start it with drugs also. In my opinion you need concurrent drug treatment considering severity of symptoms.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.

Wish you good health.