Panic attack. Taking cipralex. Does smoking increase anxiety? How can I stop?

I have a panic attack and i'm taking cipralex 30mg and ativan when needed. I'm a smoker and i feel like smoking cigarettes increase the .Strength of the symptoms such as feeling like i'm going to pass out or things around me aren't real
does smoking really do that while suffering from panic attack and anxiety ?? should i stop smoking ?? can u explain anxiety for me and it happens and will i pass out when i feel that ??
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Answered by Dr. Radhika 31 minutes later

You are undergoing treatment for anxiety and depression and you are also a smoker.

Smoking does cause certain physiological changes which relieve anxiety and panic and make people calm. But these are only short time effects; once the effects of cigarette are gone you will again feel the anxiety and panic in an increased manner. This is the reason many addicts are unable to quit smoking.

Anxiety is a state of constant worry or fear, which leads to many psychological and physical symptoms. The symptoms you are facing like passing out, emotional need for support through cigarettes are due to this. You should certainly stop smoking and also visit a psychiatrist to evaluate you. Certain therapies like cognitive behavioural therapy do not require medication; this will dually help you for anxiety and to stop smoking.

Meanwhile you can follow certain remedies like:
1. Meditation
2. Avoid alcohol, caffeine and smoking these can even trigger panic attacks.
3. Exercise burns up stress causing chemicals such as adrenaline and cortisol which will make you relax.
4. Seek social support from friends.
5. Get a proper amount of sleep.
6. Eat regular, balanced meals.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no follow ups.