Pancreatic tumor operation done. Scars appeared on abdomen. Should I go for laser treatment?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Feb 2013
Feb 2013
Excellent

Pediatrician
Question
Hi Doctor....

I have a cut XXXXXXX in my upper abdomen as I had a pancreatic tumor operation on 16-Nov-2005. This cut XXXXXXX really irritates me. I can't wear saree or any western outfits for this cut XXXXXXX How will I free from this cut mark? Is leser treatment effective for this? Help me.

Thanks and regard,
XXXXXX
Posted Thu, 25 Apr 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 30 minutes later

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

I do understand your concern about the cut XXXXXXX (scar) in your upper abdomen.

There are two options :

1. Plastic surgery

2. Laser treatment

Laser treatment is an effective method in removing surgical scars which are causing cosmetic problems.

As Laser treatment is non-invasive procedure it is associated with less complications.

By plastic surgery, scar revision is done by putting fine sutures and it is an invasive surgery which may require administration of anesthesia.

But the scar, skin type should be assessed physically by a qualified cosmetic Dermatologist or a Plastic surgeon in order to advise you the appropriate treatment method for you.

Therefore I advise you to take a consultation with Dermatologist or Plastic surgeon for your problem.

Hope I have answer your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.

Follow-up: Pancreatic tumor operation done. Scars appeared on abdomen. Should I go for laser treatment? 1 hour later
Thanks for your answer, Doctor.

I am thinking for the laser treatment. So, I want to know two more things. Is the laser treatment too much expensive (approx amount for my case, 13'' cut mark)? Will the cut XXXXXXX totally disappear after the treatment? Waiting for your reply.

Thanks and regard,
XXXXXX

Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 11 hours later

Thank you for getting back.

Laser treatment will be expensive and the cost may vary from one place to the another place.

First I advise you to XXXXXXX a Cosmetic Dermatologist is qualified to do laser treatment and after consultation he or she will give the clear idea of the number of sittings, total cost estimation, and the outcome of the scar.

The treatment results will depend on the scar, type of your skin, and the expert skill.

So without a physical examination, it is very difficult to give expenses and outcome.

Therefore I advise you to consult a qualified Cosmetic Dermatologist to clarify your concerns regarding your scar.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.

Regards.