Palpitations, red flush over face and chest when exposed to hair dye. Feels better with antihistamines. Is this due to anxiety or allergy?

When I have my hair dyed, for years now I get palpitations and a red flush over my face and chest, which after a few minutes dies down especially as I now take an anti histamine before going to the hairdressers. However I am always anxious before going to the hair dressers because I worry that the reaction might be more severe and this is scarey. I do not itch or swell up could this be just anxiety?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Radhika 1 hour later

If you are getting these reactions that i.e. palpitations and red flushing in your cheeks following dyeing of hair then it is due to allergic reactions of the hair XXXXXXX Also the reactions are reducing upon talking antihistamines, which denote they are caused due to allergy

But if you are experiencing this before dyeing your hair then it must be due to anxiety. You will need to observe when it starts.

Also antihistamines will work for allergies caused due to XXXXXXX If you have anxiety you will need to take a group of medication called Benzodiazepines.

Try to change the hair XXXXXXX to a more organic or herbal kind, which does not cause allergy.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Wish you good health and speedy recovery.