Palpitations on the left hand and eye, redness in the eyes, achy muscles. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Left arm palplitaions, eye palplitations, bloodshot eyes sleep 8 hours still tired. eyes tear up occasionally, Achy muscles
Posted Mon, 8 Apr 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From the description provided it seems that you have muscle twitches or fasciculations. These are small, local, involuntary muscle contraction and relaxation visible under the skin arising from the spontaneous discharge of a bundle of skeletal muscle fibers. Fasciculations have a variety of causes, the majority of which are benign.

The presence of weakness fatigue and generalized fasciculations could indicate the possibility of a endocrine or a electrolyte deficiency.
You might consult your doctor who can order
1. a few blood tests including thyroid function tests,
2. Serum electrolytes including Serum calcium and potassium levels.
3. Serum B12 levels

In case the above tests are normal further testing can be done including - nerve conduction studies, Electromyography, etc. These tests might help to diagnose any underlying neurological issues.

The treatment of most of the conditions is very easy and the condition will resolve on its own. In some cases, prescription medications might be needed to stop severe symptoms.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.