Palpitations mostly after taking food. Pregnant, diagnosed with ventricular ectopics, anxiety. ECG normal. Sinus tachycardia Or digestion related problem?

Question
XXXXXXX i got diagnosed with ventricular ectopics when i was 29 yrs old,i suffered from anxiety a few yrs later had 2 heart scans about 4 24 hr tapes over the yrs and ecg and nothing showed,i get palpitations alot and they occur after i have eaten food but not always,i am 7 months pregnant and i am getting myself so worked up because i am feeling my heart thumping all the time,if am sat down and get up it goes thump thump and goes fast,i have just had my tea and could feel the hard beat start then it went faster,i had a 24 hr tape the other week and ecg they was just sinus tachi,i am wondering whether its my digestive system instead
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 hours later
Having palpitation during pregnancy is commonly seen associated with anemia.
Physiologically, the volume of blood circulating in the body increases by upto 40% during pregnancy. This extra work load on the heart is commonly manifested as palpitation.
What you are going through is a normal physiological phenomenon. Since your 24 hour EKG monitoring has not revealed any abnormality, there is nothing worrisome. Getting a blood test done to rule out anemia will be helpful.
In case there are fainting attacks or any difficulty in respiration, then you need a thorough evaluation for your symptoms with your cardiologist.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.

Follow-up: Palpitations mostly after taking food. Pregnant, diagnosed with ventricular ectopics, anxiety. ECG normal. Sinus tachycardia Or digestion related problem? 4 hours later
i just wondered why dont other people get them palpitations when they have eaten food,why does it happen to me?i can always feel my heart beating,i just need reasurance to cope with the thumping heart beat when it happens,i appreciate your help.

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 58 minutes later
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
Anxiety and anemia are common causes of such palpitations. Soetimes passage of food from esophagus- the food pipe also stimulates the heart and makes it beat faster.
Please relax and do not worry. Doing XXXXXXX breathing exercises, avoiding caffeine and doing yoga will be helpful in decreasing your symptoms.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Follow-up: Palpitations mostly after taking food. Pregnant, diagnosed with ventricular ectopics, anxiety. ECG normal. Sinus tachycardia Or digestion related problem? 2 hours later
would you be reassured with all the tests i have had done on my heart?i just worry when i move about it is really strong thump like it is going to come out of my chest,i hope its just the pregnancy,i couldnt cope with it like this all the time,i read about all these football players who drop dead and they are fit and healthy,it said in one paper it could be adrenelin,and i get feelings of anxious when i get the palps

Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 6 hours later
Hello.
Getting anxious will only aggravate your palpitations. The investigations you have undergone are convincing enough. Please do not worry about any sudden death.
Your symptoms are most likely due to pregnancy only.
Do rest your mind and stop worrying.