Palpitations, elevated blood pressure. Can drinking coffee or alcohol cause this?

I'm a 41 year old male, blood pressure is normally around 117/72...lately I have been having small heart palpitations, nothing major, just feels like a sort of rush of adrenaline. Is this harmful? I'm normal weight etc 5'8 weigh 167Kilos, excersise and eat well...I notice is after drinking coffee or alcohol...if I don't drink those it seems to be fine?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 1 hour later

Thanks for posting your query

There can be several causes of the palpitations you are having :
•     Dehydration
•     Drinking coffee and alcohol
•     Anxiety
•     Heart disease

In all probability, your palpitations are being caused by drinking coffee and alcohol
I would suggest the following:
a.     Keep yourself adequately hydrated. Have atleast 2-3 litres of water in a day.
b.     Eat a healthy, well balanced diet
c.     Exercise regularly.
If you continue to have these palpitations, I would suggest that you see your ECG) or a Holter monitor test.
I hope this answers your query. Please accept the answer in case you do not have follow up query.

Follow-up: Palpitations, elevated blood pressure. Can drinking coffee or alcohol cause this? 4 hours later
Thank you for the response,

I made a small mistake with my weight, I weigh 67 kilos not 167.

I didn't realize dehydration may cause palpitations?

Just one follow up question, is my blood pressure ok for my age?

It ranges from minimum 112/64 all the way up to sometimes 130/76 Maximum. The average is 117/72? Is this ok for being 41 years of age?

Thanks for your time.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks for the follow up.

Yes your BP readings are fine according to your age.

The blood pressure varies and fluctuates throughout the day and is affected by activities as exercise, food intake, stress and can increase or decrease accordingly.

Dehydration and not having enough fluids can cause palpitations.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in you have follow up queries.

Wishing you Good health!