Palpitations after eating, had recent stent surgery

Question
My father had a stent sugery two weeks ago. Now he is having palpations after eating
Posted Fri, 20 Apr 2012 in Heart Rate and Rhythm Disorders

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 55 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Palpitations are caused due to valid reasons in your father. Increased heart rate, altered rhythms, stress are likely. After a meal the basal metabolic rate increases and the body meets these demands by increasing the heart rate normally. Now, as your father's heart has been surgically operated upon recently, it would not be completely normal in following this pattern, hence sometimes palpitations may be the result.

If he is a lot concerned and if they are prolonged for few hours, then I would suggest you speak to his cardiologist immediately.

If they are transient in nature and he is not really disturbed physically, then keep a close eye and report when time comes.

Meanwhile, follow his doctor's post surgical advice fully. And allow him to take his meals as slow as possible and see if its any better.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla, MBBS, MD
Consultant Physician.

Follow-up: Palpitations after eating, had recent stent surgery 8 hours later
Thanks for your prompt answer Dr. Charugulla.

Do we know clearly that a stent in the artery might disturb the normal function of the heart, and if yes, why. If we don’t know, what is the statistics in the past that this happens. What is the typical time this will go away.
Follow-up: Palpitations after eating, had recent stent surgery 0 minute later

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 3 hours later

Thanks for reverting back.

The complications of stent procedures include palpitations/arrhythmias, bleeding, infection, allergy etc. The incidence of these complications is 1-2%. However, this small risk of bleeding and risks due to arrhythmia/palpitation is covered well by taking anti-clotting drugs post surgery.

The first few months of recovery are important, and would need a watch. Majority of patients do well eventually. It is important to follow all lifestyle modifications and adherence to the prescribed drugs.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no further queries.

Sincerely,