Palpitation & anxiety. ECG & stress test normal. Taking bisoprolol, losartan, mentor & proxetine.

Cardiologist, Interventional
Hi I have palpitations and anxiety and I have had ECG done and stress test and cardiologist said I have a lazy heart and not to worry ,but I do and I think I'm going to die ,I take bisoprolol and losartan and mentor fin and proxetine
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Raja Sekhar Varma 7 hours later
Thank you for your query.

Anxiety is well known to produce palpitations, tremulousness and giddiness. It is important to differentiate the palpitations of anxiety from other causes like a cardiac arrhythmia.

The best supporting test that can be done is to get an ECG done DURING the episode of palpitations. The heart rate and rhythm as recorded in the ECG will be diagnostic.

If it is possible, kindly upload the scanned images of the ECG done during palpitations, a baseline ECG and the complete report of the stress test to this website. I can go through the reports and offer you more specific advice.

I also see that you are being treated for diabetes, hypertension and anxiety. It would be nice to know if the sugar and BP are under control. How about cholesterol levels? Have you tested for that and if so, what are the values? I also hope that you are a non-smoker and that you do not consume alcohol in excess. It might also help to do a thyroid function test like serum T3, T4 and TSH.

It would also help to know a little more about the palpitations - how frequent, how long does an episode last, does it cause any dizziness, vomiting or seizures, how fast is the heart rate during the palpitations, is there anything that seems to precipitate an episode, etc.

If you can fill me in on these details, I can offer you a more specific answer.
Awaiting your response,

With regards,
Dr Raja Sekhar Varma, MD,DM
Consultant Cardiologist