Palm tingling and numb with back and hip pain. Had a back and hand surgery. Is it stroke?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I am 80 years old and my PALM is tingling and is numb off and on this morning. I took my blood pressure 3 times and it was between 138-130; 69-64; and 69-70. I am and have been having back/hip pain last few days. I am active male. I had back surgery and hand surgery (opposite hand) about 5 - 7 years ago. Family history of stroke so is concerning. I have annual physicals, next one due in two weeks.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Stroke
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 hours later
Tingling and numbness in the palm with normal blood pressure is more likely to be due to a nerve compression at the cervical spine level rather than stroke.
It happens primarily due to degenerative changes secondary to age in the cervical spine.
Avoiding using a pillow and improvising your posture may help in improvement.
You can also add methylcobalamin supplements to your diet for relief.
If the symptoms are persistent then consulting a physician for physical examination will be helpful in proper diagnosis and further treatment.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Palm tingling and numb with back and hip pain. Had a back and hand surgery. Is it stroke? 5 hours later
What are methylcobalamin supplements?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Thanks for writing again.

Methylcobalamin, a nerve vitamin, is a nutritional component which helps in normal nerve conduction function. Its deficiency can cause such tingling and numbness.

You can ask for these supplements at your local pharmacy.

Vitamin B complex supplements will also help you.

Hope my answer is helpful. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.