Paleo diet, constipation, bloated, blood in stools with mucus. Chron's disease ?

I am a 26 year old female 5' 5" and 111lbs; I follow a Paleo-like diet, eating fruits, vegetables and meat/fish- avoiding sweets, breads, dairy and legumes. 3 or less stools a week have been normal for me since I was a child. My concern is that for the past month my stools have been difficult to pass and is accompanies with egg white like substance intertwined. I also have been bloated with very little blood from straining-as I have also bee constipated-despite 1 hour of exercise daily. For the past few days, I have been taking Psyllium twice a day and have had two successful movements which were also still intertwined with the egg white like substance, one each day. I have a colonoscopy scheduled for next week- what are your thoughts and do you suppose that a colonoscopy is necessary? I am not aware of colon cancer in my family; my mother suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and had battled and survived cancer of cervix and uterus. I don'y smoke, drink or take recreational drugs- not even socially. Thanks
Posted Fri, 13 Apr 2012 in Chron's Disease
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later

Passing an egg white like substance along with constipated stools indicates passing mucus with the stools. This is usually seen in intestinal diseases like ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease. It can be best diagnosed with a colonoscopy which you will have next week.

You can take some simple measures along with the exercise and high fiber diet that you are already taking-
1. Drink a glass of water before going to toilet. This will help in the increasing the bowel movements.
2.Take probiotics- lactobacillus acidophillus spores.
3. Acupressure-The point is at the highest spot of the muscle between the thumb and index finger when they are brought close together. With your thumb or middle finger at a 90 degree angle to the skin, apply gradually increasing pressure. Hold for three minutes. The pressure should not be painful or uncomfortable.
4.Take magnesium supplements or magnesium XXXXXXX foods like XXXXXXX leafy vegetables.
5.Don't put off the urge. The longer you delay when the urge to have a bowel movement strikes, the more water gets absorbed from stool and the harder it becomes to have a bowel movement.

These measures help to relieve constipation.

I encourage you to see a gastroenterologist under who's guidance you may get the colonoscopy and other tests done. Specific treatment (if any) can be started based on the results of the test.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.