Pale yellow bowel movements, have IBS and GERD. Any concern about this?

I am a 60 year old female with GERD for the past month - excessive belching that irriates throat, esphogus, nausea, and have been on Protonix for 1 month - also have IBS. Last couple of days have had pale yellow bowel movements - any concern about this. Diagnosed with small hiatal hernia 8 years ago.
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 1 hour later

As I understand it, you have GERD (Gastroesophageal reflux disease), IBS (hiatus hernia. You are on Protonix and Simvastatin and have pale yellow stools for the last couple of days that seems to be bothering you.

Pale stools may be a normal phenomenon and you should wait and see if it becomes normal. But if it does not, it maybe due to obstructive involvement of liver or gall bladder leading to less secretion of bile pigment.

I would suggest you wait for a few days and if it does not normalize, do see your doctor to rule out any obstruction in your liver and gall bladder region.

I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.