Pale stool with bloating. Had gastritis and GERD. After taking rabiprazole and omeprazole starts again. Why?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
hi ,
i am 28 year old male and for the past 4 months have been having pale coloured stool along with severe bloating and gas in my stomach.The stomach makes a lot of noise consistently after taking meal and i feel terrible with nausea sensation.
2 months back i was asked to go for liver function test,colonoscopy ,ultrasound and endoscopy and the results were normal apart from gastristis and GERD.
i am really worried as whatever i eat doesnt seem to be dgested for a couple of hours or so and have got continious sensation as though something is stuck and also have mild upper abdomen pain all the time.
Doctor prescribed me to take pantocid L and i am taking them now.
previously i have tried rabiprazole 20 and 40 mg and omeprazole but nothing has worked so far.
There is a specific pattern after taking the medicines is that i feel good for sometime like 5-6 days and then the symptoms again start showing again and i have to discontinue.
please help me.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
The problems of GERD, gas and indigestion are chronic and can best be managed with dietary modifications.
The main factors responsible for indigestion are-
2. Eating hurriedly without chewing properly.
3.Food allergies like beans, onions, etc.
4.Lack of exercise.
5. Improperly cooked food.
Try to avoid all these causative factors.
Avoid overindulging in alcohol, drinking carbonated beverages or eating while stressed, since all of these can just worsen the problems
Some foods to be avoided include certain fermentable short-chained carbohydrates that are degradable by intestinal bacteria yielding large amount of gases, like hydrogen or carbon dioxide, thus causing belching and bloating. Such food include
1. White bread, pasta, pastries, cookies, onions, and asparagus, leeks, garlic, chicory roots and chicory based coffee substitutes.
2. Legumes (soy, beans, chickpeas, lentils), cabbage and brussel sprouts.
3. Honey, dried fruits like prunes, figs, dates, or raisins, apples, pears, sweet cherries, peaches, agave syrup, watermelon, papaya.
Use of OTC medications mentioned below can be used to have some relief.
1. Activated charcoal (Charcocaps) , will absorb the excess gas produced.
2. Antacids, such as Di-Gel, Maalox Anti-Gas, and Mylanta Gas, allow gas to be belched away more easily.
3. Food enzymes, such as Beano, which help break down the sugars found in vegetables and grains, can be added to foods that cause you to have gas.
If the above said measures do not help you then you need to consult your physician for stronger prescription medicines.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.