Pale stool after taking ulcer medication.Can I take multivitamins with ulcer medication?

Pale Stool Question :

I am being treated for an ulcer and am on Sucralfate (4 times a day) and Prevacid (30 mg a day). I am feeling so much better now, but my stools seem to be very very pale in comparison to what I feel is normal for me. I was wondering if the cause of this is due to one or both of these medications? I am a bit of a worry wart, and am nervous about it.

Is it ok to take a multivitamin with an ulcer?

Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Peptic Ulcer
Answered by Dr. Poorna Chandra K.S 25 hours later
Hi and tahnks for the query.

You have been rightly prescribed sucralfate and the proton pump inhibitor for your ulcer disease.

Sucralfate is a sucrose sulfate-aluminium complex that binds to the mucosa and creates a physical barrier that impairs diffusion of hydrochloric acid and prevents degradation of mucus by acid present in the stomach.

Due to the presence of aluminium it can produce some changes in the stool colour. This is temporary and resolves after the cessation of treatment - which typically lasts for 2 weeks.

Hope this reassures you.

Do write back to me if you have further queries.