Pale loose stools, no dark urine, abdominal pain. On antacid tums. History of obesity. Causes ?

Hello. I have very pale, loose, thin stool...but no dark urine or abdominal pain or (at least not severe) jaundice. Should I go to a doctor immediately or wait things out for a certain period of time to check if the pale stool persists? I am obese and I faintly remember that this has happened a couple of times in my life before in the distant past, but never has it persisted for multiple bm's like this time. I have not consumed any antacids recently other than tums, and that was over a day ago. Thanks for your help.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 4 hours later
Pale loose thin stools persistent for few days is usually due to a minor viral infection of the gut which in most of the cases is self limiting.
You can follow some simple measures for improvement like-
1. Take over the counter lactobacillus preparation and yogurt with your meals.
2. Drink plenty of fluids, eat light, do not stay hungry but eat simple things like toast, porridge, cereals, crackers, banana, rice, etc.
3. Avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).
4. Drink more fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea.
If the symptoms are not relieved over next three days or seem to worsen then you must consult your physician for proper investigations like stool examination and further treatment.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.