Pains from front to back of waist, chest ache. What could the issue be?

Orthopaedic Surgeon

My wife started having pains from yesterday under the front bone area near to waist.
We initially thought it to a sprain. But it has spread more to waist and above till chest on left side.
Please suggest what can be the issue and anything which can be done rightaway.
As its late night here we will consult the required specialist based on your suggestion tomorrow.
Posted Wed, 5 Jun 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 32 hours later
The pain in the lower abdomen that your wife is having could be related to a muscle sprain or abdominal cramps due to pregnancy or impending periods. The first thing you need to do is to get her urine pregnancy test done to find out the status of pregnancy. She can also go for a serum beta HCG evaluation which is a more specific test.
In case the pregnancy is ruled out then muscle sprain is the most likely cause of her pain. She needs to take rest and mild pain killer like acetaminophen for symptomatic relief.
Doing a hot fomentatioj will also help in relieving the muscle spasm. In case the pain is persistent then do consult your physician for a detailed evaluation and investigations.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.