Painless red lump in the plica sublingualis. Should I be worried?

ENT Specialist

Ten days ago I examined my mouth and discovered under my tongue, in the floor of the mouth, a small red lump in the plica sublingualis. It may be around 2mm, it does not hurt, and it has not changed its size since I first noticed it (as I have said, 10 days ago). Maybe it has been there since a lot of time and I have not paid attention to it. What is it? Should I worry?

I am sending some pictures of it.

Thank you.

Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
There is no cause for worry.

Detailed Answer:

Thamk you for your query.

1. This looks like a common minor infection possibly related to the submandibular salivary gland duct, though the papillae of the duct seem to be fine.

2. This may not require any treatment. however you may let your doctor decide after palpation of the neck and head. Acid reflux, foreign bodies must be ruled out,

3. Request your doctors for a trial with medication.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Painless red lump in the plica sublingualis. Should I be worried? 45 minutes later
I am diagnosed of acid reflux since I was a child. Can it be related with this?

Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 32 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treat the reflux.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. Yes, acid reflux is related.

2. Request your doctor to prescribe anti reflux treatment for 8 to 12 weeks. Add supplements. Rule out other causes with the help of your doctor first.

3. Diet and lifestyle modifications will help.

Wishng you good health,