Painless paresthesia, impaired dexterity on index finger from minor cut. Any OTC topical creams?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
I have painless paresthesia and impaired dexterity on my right index finger near my middle knuckle, resulting from a minor cut from a kitchen knife. The cut is 3 1/2 weeks old, and completely healed in less than 2 weeks. Much of the feeling has returned, but I still cannot fully flex the finger. Are there any OTC topical creams that I can use to address this, or will I need a surgical solution?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Your problem seems to be due to minor nerve injury due to the cut. Such minor nerve injuries do heal on their own with time. Surgery at this point is not likely to help you much.
It is best to go for physiotherapy along with regular hot fomentation to regain the full movement of your affected joint. OTC topical creams are not helpful in such cases.
I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Follow-up: Painless paresthesia, impaired dexterity on index finger from minor cut. Any OTC topical creams? 20 hours later
Thanks for the quick response,

I there a time frame in which i should be concerned if all of my dexterity doesn't return?

Hello.

Thanks for writing again.

You can do regular physiotherapy sessions for upto three months and see the extent of recovery. If full recovery is not there then you can think about other options after consulting your orthopedician.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Regards.