Painless, movable lump in neck. Took Singular. Related to allergies?

I have discovered a small lump that is 1-1.5 cm in the lower part of the right side of my neck. It is painless, very movable, feels smooth and is not rock hard but not real soft either. I thought it went away for about a week or two and then I felt it again. It moves easily. I have had this for over 2 months. I did ask a doctor about it and he said to monitor it and be sure and let him know if it changed at all and it has not changed. He thought it might be related to allergies. I take Singular for allergies and the only symptom I have is a stuffy nose at night once in awhile. What are your thoughts about this lump?
Posted Sat, 17 Aug 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 34 minutes later
Hello and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

Though, telling you exactly what the lump in your neck without physically examining is impossible - I would suggest you some common possibilities.

First, an enlarged lymph node of the lower jugular chain area - chances are more if your stuffy nose has an underlying cause in the body like even common cold from a viral infection or precisely from the piriform sinus area, or ear/throat/skin infections or some issues with thyroid and oesophagus. Even an infected tooth at times.

Next, a harmless lipoma due to fat accumulated swelling in some parts of the body. Surgery is not always done unless an obstruction is proved. It may subside on its own mostly.

You may wish to discuss these in the list of probable diagnoses that your doctor may wish to enumerate on followup next.

Lastly, very few drugs. Can you enumerate your medications.

Let me know if I have missed out any other concern in your question.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Dr Sujeet N Charugulla,
Consultant Physician.
Follow-up: Painless, movable lump in neck. Took Singular. Related to allergies? 13 minutes later
Thank you for the quick response. I do not show any signs of infection other than some congestion (allergy type). I take Levothyroxine 75 mg every day, Singular, 10mg daily, Metropolol 50 mg tid, and ibuprofen. I also take a daily vitamin. I know that an examination is the only way to get an accurate diagnosis. I started a new job and would like to wait 90 days to go to the doctor. I feel great and had my yearly blood work done in XXXXXXX and everything was great except by TSH and the doctor increased my med and it was back to normal 4 weeks later. Truthfully, I worry too much and when I read on the internet cancer and lymphoma kept coming up. I do not have any of the other symptoms, but sometimes the swollen node is the only symptom. When I first felt it I thought it was a lipoma because my husband has lots of those and it does feel like some of his lipoma's. It is in the region of the posterior cervical nodes and that is what started concerning me. In the last few months, my stress level has been pretty high too.
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 11 minutes later
Thanks for the followup.

Yes, as thought your thyroid condition would have in most probability caused this lump. Other medications are not implicated in your case.

Good that you are thorough with your blood tests - and TSH being normal now, you should feel happy for yourself rather than being excessively stressed. Do not complicate things by seeing cancer related issues on net, every patient is different and as enumerated cause of cancer being in the list is ranked far less and rare in fact. And you wouldn't be this well if you really had the cancer, do you ?

Just keep your health in priority and do the followups regularly, and get on with your job. The signs of cancer even if remote can be detected by your doctors in the bud and treatment given to you to kill it when nascent if you continue your regular checkups.

Wish you best of health, and let me know of any more concerns.