Painless mass on shin. Had X-ray. What are the findings in the report?

Apr 2014

My 14 year (non athletic) son has had a nonpainful mass on his shin for approximately one month. There is been no injury it appeared to grow larger last week so I took it to the family doctor who ordered an x-Ray Wednesday . They called about 2 to 3 days later when on the radiologist read the x-ray on Friday and immediately ordered CBC & COMP bloodwork to be ran "Stat" and a MRI done at 730PM! This is a long time to wait for results can anyone read the x-ray and give me your opinion of what they're looking for

There is a Subtle indeterminate 1.2 cm high density focus within the soft tissues along the medial aspect of the proximal left tibial metaphysis. The radiologic features are nonspecific. This could possibly represent artifact, however partially calcified soft tissue mass would also create this appearance. Further evaluation with MRI will provide additional diagnostic information in this setting.

Clinical history: mass on leg

Findings: there are no prior exams for comparison.

A total of four images of the left lower leg are provided. Tibia and fibula appear normal. there is a very faint 1.2 cm high density focus which appears to be within the soft tissues along the anteromedial edge of the tibial Diametaphysis This is a Subtle finding. Alignment of the knee and ankle is normal
Posted Fri, 15 Nov 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Indu Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Your doctor has rightly suggested for MRI.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing to XXXXXXX

According to report,there is small soft tissue mass lesion in the medial aspect of upper part of left tibia.
There are various causes of such appearances in x-rays.It may be artefact in x-rays(technical fault) or calcified mass.
Exact nature of this lesion can be assessed by MRI and biopsy.

So,your doctor has rightly suggested for MRI.In my opinion,if it is still doubtful then FNAC/biopsy can be done.
So,don't be so worried and get the investigations done.

Get well soon.
Hope i have answered your query.
Further queries are most welcome.

Take Care