Painless lumps in right breast. Is this cancer or gland swelling?

I have just detected 2 lumps in my right breast, there is no pain and they are at the end of my breast under the skin. I don't know what to look for, or if they should be painful or red swelled etc. I am 60 years of age and have R.A. I do have some drinks at night, but not more than 2 or 3 plus I do not smoke or do bad drugs. I am healthy in heart and lungs so this is a question, is whether this is cancer or just gland swelling in my breast? I do realize this is almost impossible so please give me what I should look for? Thank you , Mrs. XXXX
Where is my answer? Where should I look email or do I need to give cell-phone #
Posted Sun, 27 Oct 2013 in Breast Cancer
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cancer need to be excluded.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mrs. XXXX,
Thanks for sharing your concerns with us.
It is quite unlikely to have a gland swelling in your breast at this stage of life as female hormones are not supposed to be present in sufficient quantities after the menopause, rather it would be wise to take all breast lumps as potentially cancer unless excluded.
I don't mean to say that you have cancer but I only want to stress that this diagnosis need to be kept in mind, as God forbid, if this comes out to be your final diagnosis you need active treatment as soon as possible.
Better to visit a General surgeon, the doctor will examine your breast & may recommend you some tests to confirm the diagnosis. A specific treatment can than be offered to you.
Wish you good health.