Painless lump on the neck. Causes?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
a little ball has developed on the side of my neck. it does not hurt. it's inside my neck, not on the skin
what could it be?
Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A small ball palpable on your neck which is not attached to skin is most likely to be a swollen lymph node in the neck. Lymph nodes swelling are one of the thing which inform us about the breach in immune system. It could have been breached by micro-organisms that is infection, continuous inflammation, hypersensitivity or uncontrolled production of WBC's like in cancer.

Sometimes few slow growing bacteria like TB bacteria will seem to respond to the the regular anti-biotics but it doesn't and continues to grow for a longer time until the proper treatment is taken. There are many bacteria which are like this.

Even virus which doesn't have specific antibiotics can go on like this if your body's natural defence is week.

Few autoimmune diseases like Hashimoto's Thyroiditis can cause swelling of the neck which is most often due to an ear infection and fever earlier.

Similarly the cancerous cells grow in this pattern.

So please consult your doctor as physical examination of the lymph nodes and lab investigation are must to confirm and rule out persisting infection and other causes.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.