Painless lump on the calf muscle. Reason?

I have a fairly large "lump" on the calf of my left leg. Approx. 4 inches down from my knee on the right side. No pain but is hard and large. I am a 56 year old female.
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

It is imperative to know for how long the lump has been there. If it is there for years then it may not be anything serious. Otherwise it will require immediate attention.

If it has grown in weeks to months then it may not be benign. We need to get an imaging (MRI –Magnetic Resonant Imaging/CT – Computerized Tomography) and depending on the results a biopsy also. These are simple tests but really helpful.

Even if it is benign apparently, I would recommend at least an imaging to be on the safe side.

Please get back to me in case you have any further queries.

Follow-up: Painless lump on the calf muscle. Reason? 9 hours later
Thank-you Doctor. I actually just found the lump this past Friday when I was shaving my legs. I was shocked because it is pretty "large" and XXXXXXX How could I have just now noticed it? May be that it was the position of my leg because I was shaving my legs in the kitchen sink as weird as that sounds.

Of course I did my own research until I could see my doctor and I'm worried it could be Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Should my doctor refer me to a specialist?

Thank-you so much! XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thanks for the follow-up.

Yes, the fact that it has apparently surfaced within a short time and is also large and XXXXXXX makes me suspect that it could be a doctor will definitely refer you to a specialist who will get the necessary invstigations (CT/MRI and biopsy) done.

Treatment will depend upon the diagnosis. If it is benign, then surgery alone will suffice. If malignant, then surgery may be followed by radiation and/or chemotherapy.

However, now we should first concentrate in getting to the correct diagnosis as early as possible.

Hope I have answered your query. Please do write back if you any further concerns.

Wishing you a good health.