Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer?

Urologist
Question
I am having a lump of width 1.5-2 cm attached to my left testicle at the upper part of the testicle since 10//11 years. (I have mentioned the width only because the shape of lump is just like a small testicle and I am unable to hold it from its length because it slips from my hand and some cord(perhaps epididymis) is obstructing me to hold it from it's length. most likely It's length is some more than 1.5-2 cm and I mentioned the width only). It is not causing any pain or problem with me. I put a torch light behind it and saw that it is allowing light to pass through . I masturbate much. Can this be cancer or is there any chance that I will have cancer in future ? I am scared of cancer Please help me
Posted Thu, 16 May 2013 in Urinary and Bladder Problems

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 36 minutes later
Most likely the swelling you have mentioned is a cyst of the epididymis (also known as spermatocoele), which is a structure which allows the sperm to pass from the testes to the vas and eventually outside at the time of ejaculation. Most likely the swelling is filled with clear fluid and sperms may be present. This can be easily confirmed by means of an ultrasound examination of the scrotum which can easily pick up a cyst of this size.
Once you know that this indeed is a cyst, you may not worry about it being a cancer. So please do not be worried and lose sleep over this minor issue.
We usually do not operate on these swellings as they usually do not cause trouble like pain, and very rarely get infected. At times they can grow to larger size, and patients have apparently reported that they have three testes! Only if the patient finds this swelling bothersome do we remove it surgically which is usually a very simple surgery. The surgery is done after the patient has completed his family life, i.e does not desire any more children.
Hope I have been able to help you.
Regards.

Follow-up: Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer? 7 minutes later
thank U sir, Sir is it very very necessary to do ultrasound urgently ? Or because it is allowing light so I can remove it later ?
thank U sir, Sir is it very very necessary to do ultrasound urgently ? Or because it is allowing light so I can remove it later ? Can testicular cancer be there for such a long period with me (about 10/11 years) ???

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 44 minutes later
In view of the fact that you mentioned that you could see light passing through the swelling, I am fairly certain that we are dealing with a cyst in your case. However the best way to confirm this is by means of an ultrasound. This is a very simple procedure, and will barely take 5 minutes, and once the diagnosis is confirmed, you can be relaxed. However, almost certainly this is not an emergency, and you can wait for some time before you can get the test done.
Bye,

Follow-up: Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer? 7 hours later
sir, can its removal by surgery cause infertility (because u have told that it should be done when someone completes his family and wants no more child) ? I have gone for ultrasound today. But they said that it can't be done today (perhaps due to their problem). Sir does scrotal ultrasound require any special lab/ machine ? Sir is there any doubt that this may be something dangerous/cancerous so U advised me for ultrasound ? Can it be cured by medicine ?

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 45 minutes later
I have asked you to get an ultrasound because it is inexpensive, easily available and will most probably confirm what I suspect which is an epididymal cyst.
I do not think it will be a good idea to operate on it if you are planning a family because any surgery in this area might compromise the passage to the sperms, and as I said earlier, except for the fact there is a swelling, usually this does not cause trouble. There is no medicine for this. Some lay people and quacks have advised aspiration of the fluid from the cyst but I strongly advise against it as it can complicate matters unnecessarily.
I do not think there is a risk of cancer based on the information you have given me so far.
Scrotal ultrasound requires a machine with a colour doppler facility to pick normal and abnormal blood flow patterns. this is usually present in most ultrasound machines, but the radiologist doing the scan should be well versed with the machine and the technique of examination.
Regards.

Follow-up: Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer? 6 minutes later
thank U sir. Sir, is the light test is unreliable ? And can it cause anything serious like cancer if I unable to do ultrasound ? Can it so happen that light is passing through it but it is still cancerous / may be cancerous in future ? I am much worried sir. Sorry to disturb U.

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 3 minutes later
The light test is definitely not reliable. being a young man, it is your duty to ensure you do not carry any serious issue. The best way is by means of this simple ultrasound about which I have explained to you earlier. It will put your mind at rest once the test is done. As I said earlier, I think the chances of your swelling being a cancer are very slim, so please stop worrying.

Follow-up: Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer? 40 hours later
sir, today i did the ultrasound test of the scrotum. I have uploaded the report. Sir i am a little tensed after seeing the report (although I have not much idea about medical science). Another small cyst is also there in right testicle detected (which was never known to me) and also a large cyst is detected in the left testicle. Sir is it XXXXXXX or cancer ? Please see the report I have uploaded and please tell me is there anything serious or will there be any effect on my fertility ? Please help me sir. Thank U. sir they have also given me another material(just like X-ray photo, after ultrasound). Is this report enough or that X-ray photo like material should also be needed for diagnosis ? (I don't know what is it) Thank U . If I have both cyst on both of my testicle is there any serous problem ? What are the complication I will face ? Please help me sir. Thank U in advance sir.

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 6 hours later
I have seen your report. There is no suggestion of a cancer in the report. There are only epididymal cysts which are entirely harmless. So please stop worrying about this issue. The cysts will not affect your fertility.
All the best.

Follow-up: Painless lump on testicles. Masturbating frequently. Can it be cancer? 17 minutes later
Thank U sir. sir, very very sorry to disturb U again. During the ultrasound I was a little bit nervous so I put my legs straight (with a little force). And after some time perhaps I relaxed them and be normal (exactly I don't remember what I have done for how much of time during the ultrasound). My question is can it alter my report ? Or the reports are independent of body position ?

And does the cysts which are found in the report need to be removed or those may be left as they are ? (the cysts are not very painful till now).

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 21 minutes later
Your body position has no relation to the accuracy of the report.
As the cysts are not causing you any trouble, leave them alone. No need to operate on them if there is no pain or infection. The surgery for them might cause you trouble.

thank U sir. As from your answer I understand that I will leave it as it is. But if they will create any pain in future then I have to operate it ? I will obey this sir. But U have said that the surgery for them might cause trouble. Sir I am a liitle afraid of that. What trouble will be created by it's surgery ? (if it is done in future). Please help me sir.

Answered by Dr. V. Sasanka 2 minutes later
I said that surgery might cause trouble as sometimes the tubules which transmit the sperm are blocked. that's why i said not to get yourself operated before you have completed your family life.