Painless lump on back of ear, dark color like blood blister. History of hypothyroidism. No injuries.

Hi I am a 41yo male, fairly good health (with the exception of being treated for Hypothyroidism). This morning I discovered a small painless semi firm lump on the back of my ear. Its directly in the crease of the ear, or if I pull my ear forward it is on the ear itself. If it was skin color I would have just ignored it, however this is dark in color just under the skin almost like a bruise (almost like a blood blister). It is small between 2/16" to 3/16" across (I cannot think of anything that is about that size to compare it to). No injuries that I am aware of behind the ear at all.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 8 minutes later

Based on the history suggested by you, I feel that this could be an insect bite reaction.

The history is acute that is it was not at night and erupted in your sleep. And presence of blood blister is more indication of a reaction to the insect sting or the toxins present on insect body.

It should subside in a week’s time. Insect bite reactions initially turn dark and then slowly fade away.

If there is no itching or pain, you need not be concerned. You can apply a mild steroidal cream to relieve you off your symptoms (if you have them) as well as to hasten the healing.

Hope I have provided you with good and useful information to answer your query satisfactorily. Please accept my answer if you do not have any further follow up.

Dr.Rohit Batra