Painless lump above knee, immovable, firm, can feel while extending leg. Bone cancer?

General Surgeon
I have a painless quater shaped lump 2 inches above right knee right up th emiddle of thigh immovable when I extend leg I can feel it when I bend my leg cannot kind of disappears with the movement. Its firm rather than softer I am 48 female

Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 2 hours later
Thanks for nice query.     
Above knee firm lump (approximately 2 inch above knee) ,which is visible & immobile when one extends leg suggests muscular or tendon swelling .

As these swelling only become immobile when leg is extended .

As with the extension of leg ,extensor muscles & tendon of knee becomes tight ,so swelling becomes immobile and more prominent.

When leg is bend certain muscles becomes relax,so swelling becomes mobile & less prominent.

Bursae also appear as swelling around knee joint,but they are persistent ,soft generally don`t becomes tense and immobile with leg movement .

You have not mentioned whether lump is painless or tender or painful.and any difficulty with leg or knee movement.

Proper clinical examination & MRI can pinpoint the exact diagnosis & treatment can be planned accordingly.

‘Hope I have answered your query, I will be available to answer your follow up queries, “Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”
Follow-up: Painless lump above knee, immovable, firm, can feel while extending leg. Bone cancer? 29 hours later
it is not painful but i am afraid of cancer. when i move my knee back and forth i feel it move too. not around but back and forth
Answered by Dr. Rajinder Bajoria 13 hours later

Nice to see you again.

Chances of cancer are quite low, a painless benign muscular or tendinous lump can be there in the muscles or tendon

MRI or FNAC can make the final diagnosis. I would suggest you to go ahead with these tests after discussing with your doctor.

Hope I have answered your query.

“Wish you Good Health and trouble free speedy recovery”.