Painless flexible lumps on the calf. Due to injury?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Eighteen year old athletic male, soft slightly raised thumb-sized painless flexible bump on outside of lower left leg when muscle flexed. Not visible when muscle is not flexed. No change in over a year. Leg has been hit playing football several times.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 39 minutes later

The painless lump on your left calf muscle could be due to muscle injury, ganglion, hematoma- calcified, muscle tumor like sarcoma or a cyst.
A direct examination and investigations like MRI scan and fine needle aspiration cytology are entailed for proper diagnosis.
The treatment depends on the cause. You may get the initial physical examination, relevant tests and treatment done under care of your primary physician.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Painless flexible lumps on the calf. Due to injury? 26 minutes later
He is my son, and it is not on the calf, it is on the outside of the left leg between the ankle and knee, slightly favoring the front of the leg. I have looked up all of those conditions and it does not fit the description of any of them other than perhaps a small lipoma. A muscle tumor like sarcoma is certainly a scary prospect, and I certainly hope it is not this very rare condition.

Please elaborate.

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Thanks for writing again.
I have only enumerated the various possibilities. Even if the swelling is more towards the front of the leg, there are many possibilities that need to be ruled out. To differentiate all these, a physical exam is imperative. So I suggest you please visit your primary care physician, who after examining you will direct you further regarding the investigations and appropriate referrals as required.
Hope my answer is helpful.