Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless dark spots on head of penis, no pain or discharge or inflammation. Please advise

I have noticed some painless dark spots on the head of my pernis. There are no other symptoms. One dark brown spot is almost 1cm wide. A second is lighter and smaller and a third spot is almost black and near the very top and is very small. There is no pain, no discharge and the skin is not raised or inflamed in any way . It merely appears as a change in pigmentation. Please advise
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
The spots on penis you are describing appear to be Fordyce's spots.

The spots are a form of ectopic sebaceous gland: normally, sebaceous glands are only found in association with a hair follicle. They are not known to be associated with any disease or illness and are of cosmetic concern only. They aren't infectious and are a natural occurrence on the body.

Vaporising laser treatments such as CO2 laser or electro desiccation have been used with some success in diminishing the appearance of this condition if they are of cosmetic concern. However, I consider this a normal physiological phenomenon and advise against treatment. Laser treatment can often leave significant scarring.

I suggest you not to worry about this condition. If you are still concerned about cosmetic appearance I advise you to consult a dermatologist and show your spots. Direct examination and seeing the spots by the doctor will help in accurate diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.