Painless bump under tongue. Any opinions?

I've had a painless bump (bubble like), under my tongue for about a year and a half or two years now. I noticed it after I passed a salvatory stone two years back. It's painless and hasn't affected my eating any, however, I'm curious and think I should get an opinion. I have not seen a dentist for two years, so I'm over due, but I don't have dental insurance. I'll include a picture as soon as possible, but any opinions are greatly appreciated.
Posted Mon, 4 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible a salivary ductal cyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this bump that has been existing for the past 2years.

To be honest, the picture is not very clear and I have difficulties clearly locating the said bump. However, the information you have provided seems sufficient to understand what the problem is.

Considering all you have reported, I am pretty convinced that one of the minor salivary ducts has been obstructed by a stone. This has resulted in the accumulation of saliva in the duct leading to a cystic collection(bubble). The salivary glands secrete saliva through multiple small ducts which open in the mouth and if any is blocked, it can lead to lesions similar to what you have described.

The good news is that this is not cancer. It can be treated easily. Simple drainage would suffice. Unless something else comes up, it should not be a problem managing.

The most feared risk is that of this collection getting infected which would need an urgent medical attention. So plan ahead of time and get this cyst incised and drained.

I hope this addresses your query full. Tank you for using our services and do feel free to ask for clarification if need be. I wish you well.
Dr. Ditah, MD.
Follow-up: Painless bump under tongue. Any opinions? 3 hours later
Thanks so much for your help! I'm going to make an appointment as soon as possible with a dentist for a check up. Also, I'm sorry for bothering you again, and this is really dumb on my part. I was just writing an essay in a computer lab and I put my water bottle down on the desk, and without realizing there was another one of the same type there and i drank from it. I'm unsure if it was my bottle or someone else, but it was sitting there and I'm a bit worried. Should I be very worried or should I just let it pass as if not much has happened?
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
No worries

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for following up with me.

Feel free asking for more information. At health care magic, we never go to sleep unless our clients are satisfied.

There is just no reason to get bothered. Nothing would happen even if it were not your water bottle you drank from. Stay relaxed and calm and totally disregard that something like that happened. It is not uncommon to see many people drinking from the same water bottle and nothing happens to them.

I wish you well and thanks for letting me know you would be following up with your dentist.
Dr. Ditah, MD