Ask a Dentist   »  

Painless bump on the lips in the mornings

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Bump on lip in the mornings?
Posted Sun, 22 Apr 2012 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 6 hours later
You have provided with very short description of your problem. I would like to know few more things as this would help me in suggesting you better.
Hence please answer the following:
1. Since when are you having these symptoms?
2. Is the swelling painful?
3. Is there any history of unsafe sex or any insect bite?
4. Which medicines are you taking right now?
5. Any recent change in the food habits?
Can you also send across a photograph and also any other investigations report if you have?
You have a feature to upload the reports / image by yourself at the right side of the query page, please utilize that so that I can answer your queries better.
I feel the bumps on your lips could be allergic in origin.
I reassure you that you will be fine.
Please do not worry.
Awaiting your response.

Follow-up: Painless bump on the lips in the mornings 4 hours later
1. I have been having it for a while at random days. Not everyday.
2. No the swelling isn't painful
3. No unsafe sex or insect bite that I know of.
4. I'm taking no medication
5. No changes in food habits

This is only 1 bump and it swells only in the mornings. It goes down slowly once I wake up. Once it's gone all I see is the XXXXXXX I don't know y it only swells up in the mornings Or night. That's when I notice it. I will upload pics.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 13 minutes later

Thanks for writing again.

From your description it seems that the small bump could be due to an allergy to lip gloss, chapstick, balm, or any other cosmetic that you are using at night. It could be due to a swollen gland also.

You can take an antiallergic like allegra orally. Apply vaseline on the area to keep it moist.

You can add over-the-counter 1 percent hydrocortisone ointment to your regimen for relief.

Hope my answer is helpful. Write back if you have further queries.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.

Follow-up: Painless bump on the lips in the mornings 1 hour later
I don't use any thing on my lips because if I do my lips get really chapped. They are sensitive. Did you receive the pics? Is it normal that it happens only while I sleep?? Also that it's been going on for a while.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

I have seen the pictures. The swelling is more like a vesicle on the inner mucosa of the lower lip. It looks more like Gingivostomatits. A thorough check up by dentist will help in diagnosis.

In gingivostomatitis, symptoms usually resolve with fluid intake, good oral hygiene and gentle debridement of the mouth. Use chlorhexidine mouth wash and avoid acid drinks, like fruit juices or fizzy drinks, or drink them through a straw so they don't irritate your mouth. Also avoid spicy food and sharp food and citrus fruits.

You can also add Vitamin C supplements for better relief.

I encourage you to consult a dentist for both evaluation and management.

Hope this is helpful.