Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless bump on penis shaft. What is the disease called and treatment required?

For about a year now there has been a soft type bump on the shaft on my penis, no pain or anything and the size stays the same. It's to much of a embarrising thing to go to my family dr but it is affecting my life mentally not knowing what it is and seeing it there.
Posted Mon, 11 Mar 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 38 minutes later
I have seen the photographs and feel that either it is a molluscum contagiosum wart or a sebaceous cyst.
Molluscum wart is a viral infection and can either come through sharing of towels or transmitted sexually.
Normally no treatment is required and it disappears of its own in a couple of years.
Otherwise a person can get a cryosurgery done to get it removed.
Diagnosis can be made by a skin biopsy.
The other possibility is a sebaceous cyst which becomes painful only when infected.
Sebaceous cyst is a painless bump and forms due to blockage of sebaceous gland.
Normally no treatment is required for it.

Since the bump is causing anxiety ,you must visit your doctor,get examined and get it removed. You should not feel embarrassed about going to your doctor.
I hope it helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.
Best of luck