Painless brown spot in the mouth. No discomfort. No history of cancer

Dermatologist
Question
I have a tiny brown spot,almost like a dot of freckle in my oral cavity(left mouth cheek). It is completely flat,I can't feel it even when I use my tongue to feel it and it is completely painless . I didn't bite on that area, and don't wear any braces and I don't smoke and consume zero alcohol. I am a 20 year old female. no family history of oral cancer.
I don't have any ulcers in my mouth at the moment, no sore throat, no visible swelling of the lymph nodes and no difficulty in chewing and normal jaw movements.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 6 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

A brown spot in the oral cavity can be a freckle, lentigen or a mole.
In any of these cases there is nothing to worry and none of them can be a symptom of oral cancer.
Suck lesions are common in oral cavity and should not be seen as carcinogenic.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr.Rohit

Follow-up: Painless brown spot in the mouth. No discomfort. No history of cancer 4 hours later
Thank you very much for your help. I do have a couple of questions about moles/lentigens/freckle in the oral cavity. What is the main cause for these to appear in the mouth if the oral cavity isn't exposed to the sun? And should I see a specialist to have it monitored regularly? Because I never had this in my mouth before and it just appeared out of nowhere a few days ago. Thanks for your time.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 20 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
Thanks for your follow up query.
If the lesions in your oral cavity are increasing in number and were not there since childhood though are not suggestive of anything carcinomatous but do point at a metabolic abnormality.

You can get an examination done and if your doctor feels like he would do a biopsy to settle your nerves.

Dr.Rohit

Follow-up: Painless brown spot in the mouth. No discomfort. No history of cancer 8 hours later
Thank you very much for your advice. Although the spot has disappeared within a day and now I'm not sure if I should still proceed with my original plan to see an oral specialist because then I won't have anything to show the doctor since the spot is gone. What should I do now? Should I continue to observe my oral cavity and make an appointment with the oral specialist only when I spot something abnormal? Sorry for the trouble.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 14 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX
There is no ned for you to do anything as there is no visible problem.
Dr.Rohit