Ask a Urologist   »  

Painless blisters on penis after oral sex. What can it be?

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Question
Blister like bump - firm, painless, slightly bigger than a pea, appeared on lower shaft of penis approx 10 days ago shortly after having sex (and oral sex) with my wife. It does appear to be getting better/smaller. no longer looks like a blister but just a red bump now (still painless). I did not touch it/squeeze it, etc. and nothing has appeared to ever have drained out of it. Doesn't appear to be around any hair folicles although I have had pimples appear before. This however did not look the same and has stayed for 10 days now. It is important to add that my wife and I are highschool sweethearts and have only been with eachother; have one child and one on the way - she is 8 mon. pregnant. So chances of it being an STD are slim to none? just concerned about waht else it could be?
Posted Tue, 3 Jul 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Ketan Vagholkar 11 hours later

Thanks for writing in.

As you do not have any other systemic or local symptoms the chance of this being an infection necessitating antibiotic treatment is very less.

The possibilities are
1. If the swelling is on the skin of the shaft of the penis then it can be a sebaceous cyst/Fordyce’s spot.
2. If it is arising from the shaft of the penis on the under surface near the attachment of skin then it could be a cyst arising from the local glands (Littre's glands).

As there is no tenderness and the bump is reducing in size, you do not have to worry. It is a harmless condition.

You will need to consult a doctor if any redness, pain or tenderness develops.

I hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.

With regards