Painless and movable lymph node on neck, done X-ray, CBC and ultrasound. Is this cancer?

Oncologist
Question
Please Need some advice on Lymph nodes :

Hi doctor,
3 months ago I noticed a small lymph node on the left side of my neck painless and movable. As well as a few other very small ones, also painless and moveable same side of neck. I went to my doctor, and had a CBC done and came back fine. I then had a chest xray done and no swollen lymph nodes were visible and all came back fine. I then had the node ultrasound and the measurement was 9mm. The doctor said he could tell by the appearance of the node that it wasnt cancerous and felt no biopsy was necessary. The others all were app 2-3 mm. Should i feel confident that this is not cancer? It has caused me a lot of stress and I dont know if I should persue it more. The doctor said by the appearance the node doesnt appear "mean" like they do when they are cancerous. As well in lymphoma nodes are usually 2 cm and larger. Mine have not changed in size the past few weeks. I have had all other testing as well as HIV everything clear. So if these are begign why are they there? I am a woman 5'6-130 pounds. The only symptom I have is itching but I believe that is from the current weather change. Thank you
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later

Let me summarize your problem. You have few small lymph nodes in neck (all < 1 cm), which are soft, movable and not increasing in size over time. Presumably you do not have other symptoms like fever, weight loss, throat pain, etc. The blood reports and chest X-Ray have also failed to reveal anything. All of these suggest that the neck nodes are absolutely benign.

Normally neck nodes are present (as in other sites like armpits and groin) in every individual and these are a normal part of the body's immune system. They help in fighting infections. Usually size of neck nodes are <5 mm and hence not felt on routine examination, especially if they are located a bit XXXXXXX However, sometimes they may be a bit enlarged (because of small infections in thorat, skin, eyes, nose, etc and even dandruff!), and not cause of concern unless of size more than 1.5-2 cm.

The nodes you have are benign and slightly enlarged, probably because of some infections (which you may have not noticed because they were just trivial). Even if they persist at the same size, there is nothing to worry at all.

Just lead your normal lifestyle.

Hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Follow-up: Painless and movable lymph node on neck, done X-ray, CBC and ultrasound. Is this cancer? 4 days later
Thank you very much doctor! Do you feel I don't need to act upon any further testing? The nodes have been the same for the past few months now, no change in size.

As well no symptoms doctor. I have lost 5 pounds but I know its been because of the stress i've been under from the testing. Its caused me great stress.

Hi doctor I have yet to hear back from you and I was hoping you could answer the last part of my question. My one last concern is with my armpit lymph node which is located in the upper inside of my armpit. Its soft and movable size of a small pea. Could this be in any relation to breast issues? As well in breast cancer are the bumps found in the armpit usually hard? or soft? Thank you

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 2 hours later
To answer your queries one by one...

1. Do you feel I don't need to act upon any further testing?
No (because of reasons I have explained earlier).

2. Could this be in any relation to breast issues?
Armpit nodes may be enlarged because of breast problems, but the size of pea is quite small in medical terms and most likely non-significant.

3. As well in breast cancer are the bumps found in the armpit usually hard? or soft?
They are hard. You mentioned that your node is soft and movable, so again, nothing to worry.

Hope, this answers your query. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.

Regards.